#1 Mari

Mari

Newbie sorta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self published some books. I have done blogging, guest blogging, and had some of my short stories posted on internet sites.
    I write about vampires, dragons, fairies, and other things that are not supposed to exist. My goal is to check in a box of books at the job that pays for my writing habit and see mine at the top of the pile.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

I just saw it on his twitter feed and his site confirmed it. He is leaving Curtis Brown Ltd. and moving on to CNET. Here is his post explaining it. Nathan Bransford Blog
mariminiatt.com

#2 Nobody

Nobody

n/a

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:n/a

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:13 PM

Wow. Didn't see that coming.

#3 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:20 PM

Actually, somehow, it doesn't surprise me. Can't put my finger on why, but I always got this feeling that he wouldn't continue to be an agent very long.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#4 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publications of The Kewpie Killer, Life's a Beach Then You Die, Payback's a Beach

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

Guess I should be glad he didn't like my query.

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer
Paper or plastic digital 51nLuiQDVjL._SL110_.jpg51ZiyrardhL._SL110_.jpg51IDRMxZ2EL._SL110_.jpg51Bjjx6HDYL._SL110_.jpg

#5 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:17 PM

Well I guess that settles the "Who's the Hottest Agent" question. I forget who our other option was though...

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

#6 Cheryl B. Dale

Cheryl B. Dale

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Category, ebooks, mystery

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:36 PM

Yeah, Mark. Guess everyone he turned down should be glad.

Like Clipper, never saw it coming. But then I'm always the last one to know!

Oh, and thanks, Mari, for posting!

#7 joanq6

joanq6

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Former newspaper reporter, now writing annual reports and corporate websites.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:37 PM

Guess I should be glad he didn't like my query.

My thought exactly. Then I went down the karma road: See what happens to agents who don't like our queries?

#8 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:49 PM

Yeah... didn't see that one coming. And like everyone here, I guess I'm glad he didn't like my query. I've had too many agent mishaps this year to go through any more. lol.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#9 The Steel Man

The Steel Man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:58 PM

Thanks Mari for the post. Glad I didn't query him, or, anyone else for that matter. Read some of his blogs and other writings. NOW I KNOW WHAT C-NET is. Probably last person on earth to know that. So, thanks again Mari.

#10 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

I haven't continued my PW scrip --- how have his sales been lately?

I can imagine there's a lot of agents in the burn-out phase right now
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#11 ciano

ciano

Micro-Publisher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:Partner, Newcastlewest Books

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:44 PM

I was just compiling a list of new victims for my query when I saw the news at PW. I'd agree he must be burned out, considering how the publishing industry is functioning these days. All blockbusters all the time, by previously published authors, and no newbies need apply.

#12 RileyRedgate

RileyRedgate

Ant, the Quixotic Query Quibbler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, SEVEN WAYS WE LIE, was released in March 2016 by Abrams and optioned for film by Jane Startz Productions. My sophomore novel, NOTEWORTHY, hits shelves May 2017.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

God. Seeing this is almost surreal - his blog pretty much taught me everything I know about the agenting business XD

author of SEVEN WAYS WE LIE and NOTEWORTHY

rep: Caryn Wiseman, Andrea Brown Literary Agency

i tweet!

#13 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

I was just compiling a list of new victims for my query when I saw the news at PW. I'd agree he must be burned out, considering how the publishing industry is functioning these days. All blockbusters all the time, by previously published authors, and no newbies need apply.

Oh I don't think that's the case, ciano. There a plenty of debut authors being signed. They may not be getting much $$, but they're getting signed. My agent's signed six debuts in the past year, several in multi-book deals, and a couple of them went to auction. Regrettably, none of them were mine.Posted Image
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#14 Skyval

Skyval

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:unpublished

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:08 PM

I let my pw subscription expire, too, but I remember when I was researching him, he'd had only 2 sales in the previous year. Maybe he didn't post all his sales, but he seems like the type that would. On his blog he listed clients but did he find them or inherit them? Maybe someone here has first-hand experience and I'm all wrong.

I do/did follow his blog and I had this impression (maybe just me) that he was more into his image than he was in working as an agent. Seems like he spent all his time on his blog, pointing out how many queries he received, attending conferences, and promoting his own books. Can't put my finger on it, but there was something for me that said, "Stay away." I guess the celebrity-type agent thing.

Query Tracker shows he's had 543 queries since January, requested 26 partials, and zero fulls. I know that's a fraction of his probable total queries, but those are his stats there. Anyway, I wish him luck.
Skyval

#15 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:46 PM

I always found him to be very nice, approachable and helpful, the few times I had the opportunity to deal with him. Plus he answered every query in a prompt fashion (seems like a rarity with agents these days). He also ran a forum to help writers with the whole submission/query process, and was always happy to answer any questions a writer might have.

Didn't seem so "celebrity" to me, but rather enthusiastic and willing to go out of his way to help writers. Not quite sure of his sales, but I can't imagine he'd be with such a well known agency if he didn't have decent figures, though it seems like these days, sales aren't exactly easy to come by. I guess I don't see spending a lot of time on a blog as being an indicator that they're a poor agent or into themselves and their image. That's just me though.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#16 normaj

normaj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Column for Fairfield Bays News, Children's musical

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:54 PM

Always seemed real nice and approachable to me. Good luck w/your new career Nat.

#17 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,302 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

Bummer. He's always had such a helpful blog. I hope he keeps it up. It is a great resource.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#18 Tom Bradley

Tom Bradley

A big old goober.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My indie novels THE KONA SHUFFLE, THE HILO HUSTLE, THE PAHALA TWIST, and THE WAIMEA TWO-STEP are available at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, and CreateSpace.

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:11 AM

Bummer. He's always had such a helpful blog. I hope he keeps it up. It is a great resource.

He mentioned he will continue the blog, so there's your silver lining.
I suppose now I need to delete him from my Query Tracker list.

#19 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:06 PM

Didn't he write a book? I think it hit me that he wasn't going to be agenting much longer when he said he was writing a book. For some reason, that just resonated with me. And yeah, he hasn't had a deal since December of last year.

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#20 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,302 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:59 AM

His forum will stay up as well. So, that's good. He attracted a lot of aspiring writers and his blog and forums served as a great resource.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users