3 replies to this topic

#1 drm

drm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 192 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:"Fedora" a short story, my most recent pub in Cause & Effect. I'm seeking an agent for my completed novel; also looking into self pub, but it seems so daunting.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

I've just always assumed that after completion of my ms., I should seek out an agent, but some people suggest getting an editor first, then the agent. There's even the possibility the editor can find an agent. What's the story on this? :wacko:

#2 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (late 2015/Thomas Dunne) travels forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In the meantime I am one of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which releases November 4, 2014 and tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

Editors don’t generally find you an agent. A developmental editor helps you spot over-arching structural issues, plot problems etc. A copy editor corrects grammar and spelling. Either or both of those functions are something you can do yourself (most writers don’t hire editors) with the help of a few trusty critique partners to offer you notes/feedback.
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#3 Michelle4Laughs

Michelle4Laughs

Walking on Sunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My epic fantasy, Kindar's Cure was released from Divertir Publishing. A short story, Frost and Fog, is in Summer's Double Edge anthology.

I'm repped by Sarah Negovetich.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

Did you mean an editor from a small publisher or an editor to help you with the manuscript before you query?

#4 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,150 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

Unless they meant a publishing editor? As in go to a publishing house, get interest there, then use that as bait for getting an agent. Problem is... you can burn up publishers off your list if you head to them first. As in, agents won't have publishers to query to if you decide to go to them second and you will have to write a new book. Which you may have to do anyway if history is any indicator. (A lot of writers don't get their first book published.)

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg   loveandrumors579K-e1409935457105.jpg   loveanddreams1dot9MG-e1409935497302.jpg   HotSummerLove-e1409935103103.jpg

FREE!               $2.99             $2.99               $2.99            $2.99   * $0.99 SEPTEMBER ONLY! *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users