No replies to this topic

#1 TDBC

TDBC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Only as a ghost writer :)

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

I just found these forums yesterday and was so thrilled!!! I have been toying with the idea of writing a memoir for years but could never nail down a focused-enough topic (and writing about my crazy childhood and eventual triumph has always seemed a bit too bland). I recently came up with another idea and was wondering if anyone could tell me if you thought it had any chops --- and, if so, how to even BEGIN the process of getting it published.

I’m not sure how specific I can be – so I’ll err on the side of vague for now:

I would like to write a memoir/informational book about the process of searching for effective treatment of a particular mental health disorder. I have just embarked on this journey and would love to document the process. I have a unique perspective because not only do I struggle with the disorder, but I am also a neuroscientist and have published scientific papers on the various physiological causes and consequences. I would like to weave some of the scientific and medical information into my own subjective experiences.

My first thoughts about how the book would be organized are as follows:

The book will begin with a general introduction and description of the impact that this disorder is having on my current life – this will include some references to childhood experiences. The chapter will end with the ah-ha moment when I realized that I need to address this problem with all guns drawn

The rest of the book will follow my progress chronologically as I attempt to heal from this disorder – using conventional therapy, hypnosis, nutritional testing and treatment, alternative therapies, and whatever else comes along. This is another area where my neuroscience background might be an asset --- I can discuss these therapies from a scientific/medical POV as well as from a personal POV.

I have a few connections with well-known thoughts leaders on the topic and I am confident that I will be able to get them to add some “expert tips” that can be included in the book.

Any thoughts?

THANKS!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users