Disclaimer

Photo

How do I prevent myself from getting banned on facebook?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

I'm having a lot of trouble with facebook right now. They keep sending me warnings and threatening to ban my account for awhile. Already as it is, I have to wait a week before accepting new friend requests and a week before I'm allowed to send messages on my account.

I stopped adding people when I received my first warning about how I was adding people that I didn't know, but I've been accepting all friend requests sent to me and only added a few people who were ranting in some posts about how stupid people on facebook would have to be to report someone for adding them as a friend. And then I got in trouble for adding people anyway.

I also was accused of spamming in messages on there, even though I've never sent someone a link to my blog, twitter, and definitely not my book because it's not even for sale yet. I don't even know what they're talking about! I've mostly only talked to people in messages on there who have contacted me first. How do I find out what I did "wrong" exactly? And how do I know its not one of my apps doing it?

My facebook account is just careening into a downward spiral and it's my favorite form of social media, so this is very frustrating for me.

I work hard to interact with people on there, read the things they post, like them, and discuss things that are going on with them on there, so I don't just spam people on there all the time and I don't want all that to be wasted time. Not to mention that I like talking to people on there. What do I do?

Visit my web-site for links to my twitter, blog, facebook, and a way to e-mail me: http://www.ebblack.com/

Want a FREE novel? Love ROMANCE and GREEK MYTHOLOGY? Then download Pandora's Mistake on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

2urtog3.jpg

#2 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

Could it be your account got hacked? I recently got a funky tag from someone I thought was legit, since I can't imagine them sending out pictures of half naked women. Though I don't really know them (this is my author account, vs. my personal), so maybe they did send it. It's just a thought though.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#3 Lora Palmer

Lora Palmer

Defying Gravity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have a short paranormal story, "Unfinished," published on Samantha Mabry's site, Flash Paranormal Fiction.

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

I'm not as familiar with facebook hacking, but my twitter account did get hacked awhile back. Links to who knows what got sent out to people in my contacts until I changed my password. It wasn't even something I could tell was happening until people started asking me whether I'd sent such-and-such a link (I hadn't) and asking me whether my account had gotten hacked. I agree that it's probably what's happened to you. Definitely change your password, and you may want to revoke access by any applications you use with facebook. Hopefully that stops the spamming issue! Good luck :).

THE MIRRORMASTERS is now available from Clean Reads!

Leah must  stop a galaxy-ending cataclysm—if her birth sister, who unleashed it as a power grab, doesn’t kill her first. 
My Author Website: http://www.lorapalmer.weebly.com

#4 Peter Burton

Peter Burton

Court Jester and Wanna Be Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

Yep. You've been hacked.

The easiest way to prevent this is two fold. Do not, under any circumstances join those stupid hug, gift, welcome, give-us-access-to-your-account sites, or play any of those time wasting farmville, bugville, procratinationville games. Two: make a list of passwords, keep them with your computer, and change them regularly. (Can you tell I'm not a big fan of social networking sites... but it's a necessary evil, I suppose. Posted Image)

It's still no guarantee you won't get hacked again, but at least it makes it harder for the hacker... and most of those guys are too lazy to work very hard at it. :wink:

"But that's OK. There's treasure children always seek to find.

And just like us, you must have had, a Once Upon A Time."

~Elton John

#5 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

Well, I will say this. Like two weeks ago, my gmail account was telling me that a weird person in another country was trying to log into it and my blog disappeared for awhile. I was scared that I was being hacked at the time, so I changed all my passwords, but everyone wound up telling me it was just a glitch that blogger was having. It could possibly be something from that catching up to me because I haven't had my new password for very long.

Visit my web-site for links to my twitter, blog, facebook, and a way to e-mail me: http://www.ebblack.com/

Want a FREE novel? Love ROMANCE and GREEK MYTHOLOGY? Then download Pandora's Mistake on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

2urtog3.jpg

#6 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

I smell a rat. Facebook just doesn't seem as regulated as all those messages you are getting. I friend EVERY single person who asks because, hey, I am a writer and if you like my book that's good enough to make you my friend. And I've never been sent a warning. And content/spamming warnings? Never heard of them. Perhaps -- much as this would be a pain -- you need to shut down this account and begin again (notifying friends where to find you).
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#7 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

I'm not necessarily convinced that you've been hacked. However, you should change your password and pick a strong one. Check that your email address (the one listed as your Facebook contact) has not changed. Facebook sends out an email notification when a new device accesses your account. I have been hacked once before on FB and this is how I found out. I was able to login and change my password before much damage was done.

Do you remember receiving such a notification?

We are friends on FB and I haven't seen anything suspicious in your posts.

Hope you get to the bottom of this.

#8 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

The only apps I have are goodreads, networked blogs, and BranchOut.

@Litgal: Ugh. I was thinking about possibly doing something along those lines, but it is very, very painful sounding to me because I already put so much work into this one. I'm going to see what happens and see what notifications, if any, I get.

I've heard from another author that facebook likes to target random authors without explaining specifically why they are being targetted.

Because let's say I really did do something wrong . . . . . then they need to tell me or I will keep making the same mistake, right? I just don't get this.

@Paul: No, I didn't receive any such notification.

They're allowing me to add people again though, but not allowing me to send messages still. So I guess they decided that they made a mistake about that . . . . or something. They don't even explain it or tell you the ban is gone and why. It just suddenly was.

2urtog3.jpg

#9 Brighton

Brighton

Radioactive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Literary Status:media
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:26 AM

Next time you get a warning take a screenshot of it so we can see exactly what it is you are seeing, and we might be able to help you figure it out better.
"The truth was that Jay Gatsby, of West Egg, Long Island, sprang from his Platonic conception of himself. ...and to this conception he was faithful to the end." -The Great Gatsby

#10 Paula Bgoom

Paula Bgoom

Somewhat Advance Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:nothing as of yet but would just love some!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

did you try hooking up your anti virus on your page and scanning it for viruses?I know some people might think that is crazy , but, I do it every so often with my Norton's. You probably was hacked so , I would change the password. I change mine every few weeks or so.You also have to be careful of the apps on some of the pages you go to. Never know if they have a little bugger on them or not. as for adding friends one is a loud a bit over 5,000. I know because I had over 5,000 friends on FB , till I went through and removed some . If you are sending inboxes to people that you did not produce your self , then you need to scan your FB because you have a virus. When you get those messages and you know 100% you did nothing wrong , then it is someone hating on you and reporting you.FB has went crazy ever since they went public.
When Eyes are Opened (series ) - finished MS - editing

The Midnight Faery Moon - WIP

and another WIPs (series) not telling the titles yet .

"More sharper than a serpents tooth is Paula's chat" - Revo

#11 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

FWIW, I never save my password in Facebook any more. I haven't had a problem since I stopped saving it. Knock wood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users