#21 patskywriter

patskywriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com from Durham, North Carolina, USA.

Currently working on my first nonfiction book, "And Then We Saw an Eye: Caring for a Loved-One with Alzheimer's at Home."

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

Because I publish a community paper, I'm quite the newshound. But when I'm not watching news-oriented programming, I'm totally into Disney and Nickelodeon. I adore Captain Underpants and my dream is to write funny stories for the middle-school set.
Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com.

Currently working on my first nonfiction book, "And Then We Saw an Eye: Caring for a Loved-One with Alzheimer's at Home."

#22 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

YAY! Another crazy chapter/middle grade writer. Those kids are so dang fun. They have such interesting and quirky senses of humor at that age. And they're so honest and enthusiastic. Love them.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#23 Will

Will

Master of Oddities

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

Well lets see, YA for me.

I suppose the genre would be their personal world and how and why to change it. Plus accepting the consequence that come as there's always a consequence.

#24 RNLashbrook

RNLashbrook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:None!

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for the help, Cat. I've been researching and have yet to take the plunge into sending out a query. I'll keep ya'll posted.

#25 Charlie Eve

Charlie Eve

Illustration Junky/Part-time Sweetheart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

I write PB, chapter books and MG with mostly humor/character driven stories. Once in a while I'll write something more poetic and lyrical...but I enjoy writing for all three with chapter books probably being the ones that I gravitate towards more. PB would be the obvious choice since I am also an illustrator and I do love them...but most of my character voices tend to fall in the upper chapter book to lower middle grade category. Most of which probably comes from my love of Charlotte's Web and anything written by Judy Blume.

#26 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

Nice to see you, Charlie!

Hope all is going well with your illustrating. It's a fun place to be--straddling the line between writing and illustrating. I bet it gives you a much clearer vision on the text--and what is telling versus showing. While so many people think picture book writing is a breeze because it's fewer words, it can be exceedingly difficult to condense and entire story into the bare minimum prose.

Thanks for sharing your loves.

Cat Woods

#27 Charlie Eve

Charlie Eve

Illustration Junky/Part-time Sweetheart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

It is wonderful!! I am loving every minute and just got back yesterday from a 5 day Highlights Foundation Advanced Illustrator Workshop...my mind is overflowing with amazing tips and inspiration. It is amazing the length, detail and process these award winning author/illustrators go throw with every draft of this PB's both text and illustrations. It is incredible, but every detail counts BIG.

#28 teachna

teachna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published a children's picture book titled Dachshunds in Moccasins. A second book will be available late winter 2015.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

I write for young children. I have a picture book that I sent out to various agents and publishers and two more to make up a series. This audience is my favorite because I have been an elementary teacher for 16 years and now I am the librarian at the same school. I teach in Reading, PA (the poorest city in the nation) and LOVE IT! The children just love books but struggle to read so I want to contribute by writing fun, engaging stories.

#29 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

teachna, that is a great reason to write. The children sound lucky to have you!

Cat Woods

#30 teachna

teachna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published a children's picture book titled Dachshunds in Moccasins. A second book will be available late winter 2015.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

Thanks Cat. As of this writing, Reading, PA is now #6 in the poorest cities in the nation. Reading was #1 last year. Camden, NJ now is #1. I am spending my evening lesson planning....will be dressing up as the cat from If You Give a Cat a Cupcake. Last cycles I was the pig and the cycle before that I was the mouse from Laura Numeroff's books.

#31 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES published November 2013. WITHOUT BORDERS to be published in serialization in the fall of 2015 by Cliffhanger Press. CASSIA, a literary novel set in an arts district, will be published by Evolved Publishing in March 2016.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

I'm currently shopping for representation for my NA; although, I'm marketing it as Women's Fiction. Because I always have to keep writing, I'm thinking about my next project. I have two ideas circulating in my head. One's another NA set in the 1970's and the other is a contemporary YA about a teenage girl who becomes a race car driver to repair the relationship with her drunken, foul-mouthed grandpa who also just happens to be a brilliant mechanic whose inventions made a significant impact on NASCAR. I'm leaning towards the latter even though it's outside of the brand I'm trying to build, but the grandpa is based on a real person I know very well, and because of various circumstances the story line won't leave my brain alone.

#32 mammaMia

mammaMia

The fennec fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Hoping to add something here soon.

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

I write YA, it fits me because I am a young adult :)

AWAKENED (YA science fiction) -- shelved

WHO'S THE MOST POPULAR OF THEM ALL? (upper MG contemporary) -- shelved

GUNPOWDER, SPARKLES, AND JUST A LITTLE BIT OF RUM (MG fantasy) -- writing first draft (Query here)

UNTITLED YA FANTASY -- planning

UNTITLED MG FANTASY -- planning

#33 Leigh Teale

Leigh Teale

Supergirl Writes Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:The Calera Journal; Wiregrass Living Magazine; The Subterranean Quarterly; Midnight Starling Press

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

I know I already posted, but I'm using NaNoWriMo to challenge myself as a writer, so I'm attempting a YA even though it's something I've never written before. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

skull-emoticon-for-facebook-status-comme   THE BUSINESS OF DEATH          Final Destination  x  Dead Like Me          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

stars-emoticon.png   CHANGELING          Magonia  x  Wings          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

#34 Bri Guy

Bri Guy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Zip!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

I've started in the Chapter book world because I know it well with two kids of my own at 6 and 8. I also work with young children and love it when they find something that really clicks with them. I hope my first book helps someone become excited about reading. Like everyone else, I just have to find a publisher!

#35 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Like everyone else, I just have to find a publisher!

You're not alone! This seems to be a universal problem among writers.

Best luck, though. It sounds like your heart is in the right place.

Cat Woods

#36 Cecelia

Cecelia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:New to publishing

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

My answer is the same no matter how much it pisses off my agent.

I'm writing for whoever picks up the book. Because the subject matter and style are as appropriate for kids as adults, I get tagged as a YA or MG writer. Fine. Put the book on whatever shelf you like.

I agree with you. I have written my first book as MG. Originally the story was geared toward younger children but something happened and through many rewrites it began to grow up a bit. So far, I've only had my adult friends reviewing it for me and it's been quite interesting. They have critiqued it as a 'page turner' with surprising elements and they want to read my next story. I've just begun finding a few 12 year old's to read it and so far their comments are good but I'm still awaiting more feedback. I recall a comment I read from J.K. Rawlings basically saying that she just wrote and didn't focus on a particular audience. I have kept that in the back of mind while writing and I'm happy with the results.

Knowing others is Wisdom

Knowing yourself is Enlightenment

Lao Tzu

#37 Cecelia

Cecelia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:New to publishing

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Very cool, Jennie and MK. Isn't it interesting how we tend to gravitate toward certain ideas or themes when we write?

I agree. Speaking for myself, I write and sometimes feel as if I'm being carried through it rather than I'm doing the actual writing. When I do make my own imprint, I'm pulling pieces from my past as well as many other wonderful people that have peppered my past and current life. I'm a late bloomer though because I was told that my highly intelligent brother was the 'writer' and 'creative'. My goal should be to get by in school and quickly get married. That advise will make a great book on it's own! :)

Knowing others is Wisdom

Knowing yourself is Enlightenment

Lao Tzu

#38 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

I wrote my YA Fantasy novel, CROWN OF ICE, as YA because that's the only thing that would fit with the character ages/storyline. My WIP is a companion book to CROWN, so it's also YA.

I've already written books one and two in an adult scifi trilogy as well, so I like to jump around. It just depends on the story I want or need to tell. :smile:

#39 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

I agree. Speaking for myself, I write and sometimes feel as if I'm being carried through it rather than I'm doing the actual writing. When I do make my own imprint, I'm pulling pieces from my past as well as many other wonderful people that have peppered my past and current life. I'm a late bloomer though because I was told that my highly intelligent brother was the 'writer' and 'creative'. My goal should be to get by in school and quickly get married. That advise will make a great book on it's own! :)

That stinks! Parents should never compare children like that...of course, it can act as a motivator sometimes.

Lucid~ thanks for sharing your reasons. Hope your cross-genre writing works out!

Cat Woods

#40 Bhoomigirl

Bhoomigirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

I mostly write fantasy for children/MG. I did write one picture book but found that harder to write. My MCs generally are outsiders who are not cool, popular athletes or smart, intellectual over-achievers. As a mom, I enjoy (most of the time) middle school drama. I am also intrigued by the emerging personalities of children & how we as parents shape their outlook on life, religion etc. My stories tend to revolve around these themes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users