Disclaimer

Photo

are you signing with the Agent or Agency?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WritesToEscapeReality

WritesToEscapeReality

A_D_Solano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

Just out of curiosity, what happens in this situation?

You find an agent you love but before the MS is sold to a publisher your agent relocates to a different agency or starts their own agency. In that situation, are you signed to the agency, the agent or do you have a Jerry McGuire situation where the agent is frantically calling all their current clients, trying to get them to follow him/her while the agency is calling the same clients trying to keep them as a client?

Just curious how that works. Anyone have that situation?
I'm Angela. I'm a mom, wife, nurse, chauffeur and aspiring writer. I hope to add published to the list one day.

#2 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,272 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:11 PM

Actually, yes, that did happen to me-- sort of. The owner of the agency announced to the agents rather abruptly that she was closing shop. A handful of the agents got together and started their own agency, taking their clients with them. I still had to sign a termination of contract with the original agency though, and sign a new contract with the new agency.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#3 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (late 2015/Thomas Dunne) travels forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In the meantime I am one of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which releases November 4, 2014 and tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

First of all, some agents are solo-practitioners (they may have clerical staff or assistants but they ARE the shop).

In agencies with multiple agents it would depend on your contract. Dometimes there is a provision specifying that you can terminate the agreement at your option if your agent moves on (so you can move with your agent). The same thing is sometimes included in publishing contracts but only, I believe, for "heavy hitters" (these folks may want such a clause because after multiple books their relationship with their editor is important to them).
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#4 WritesToEscapeReality

WritesToEscapeReality

A_D_Solano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for the responses. I was just curious how that worked.
I'm Angela. I'm a mom, wife, nurse, chauffeur and aspiring writer. I hope to add published to the list one day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users