Disclaimer

Photo

Genre Help: Literary Thriller?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 S Jenan

S Jenan

Even my dreams are third person past tense.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:18 AM

Reading along with a recent topic, concerning romance in the thriller genre, got me pondering my genre, and sent me wandering on the wide tubes of the internets.

I think of my manuscript as a technothriller, what with all the quantum physics, hacking, and technological hardware used by the protag/antag(s). BUT -- REALLLLLLY, it's a meditation on metaphysics, identity (whether man or manna), love and what it means for God to sit both within and above time. Relationship is central to the action, and the focus of the denouement.

More than just getting full-requests from any old agent (and if Any Old Agent is reading this, I ABSOLUTELY want your full-request), I want to make sure my query is enticing the agents who will be most excited by my story.

What are the boundaries of 'Literary Thriller'? Does it suggest a slower pace (I don't want to suggest that!)? Anyone know if it tickles agents' fancies? Or is it an affected appendage to Thriller that they'll discount anyway?

Thoughts?

WIP - Black Sea. It's not about the Black Sea.

Twitter: @sljenan Follow my ongoing quest to tweet that elusive 141st character...

Blog: The Slosh Pile More alcohol stuff than writer stuff. Wait, alcohol stuff IS writer stuff...

#2 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out April 8th.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

Reading along with a recent topic, concerning romance in the thriller genre, got me pondering my genre, and sent me wandering on the wide tubes of the internets.

I think of my manuscript as a technothriller, what with all the quantum physics, hacking, and technological hardware used by the protag/antag(s). BUT -- REALLLLLLY, it's a meditation on metaphysics, identity (whether man or manna), love and what it means for God to sit both within and above time. Relationship is central to the action, and the focus of the denouement.

More than just getting full-requests from any old agent (and if Any Old Agent is reading this, I ABSOLUTELY want your full-request), I want to make sure my query is enticing the agents who will be most excited by my story.

What are the boundaries of 'Literary Thriller'? Does it suggest a slower pace (I don't want to suggest that!)? Anyone know if it tickles agents' fancies? Or is it an affected appendage to Thriller that they'll discount anyway?

Thoughts?

Gosh, I have not been paying attention, sorry! So much going on now that my book sold. I think literary thriller doesn't mean necessarily a slower pace, but is more reflective of the writing style. Think of Kem Nunn's "Tapping The Source", or "Dogs of Winter". The writing level is elevated. The characters are probably a little more complex than your usual thriller, etc. Best of luck. I wish I could write in am more literary style, trust me!

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#3 S Jenan

S Jenan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

I'm going to check out Kern Nunn presently, thanks for the heads-up, Bones.

Twitter: @sljenan Follow my ongoing quest to tweet that elusive 141st character...

Blog: The Slosh Pile More alcohol stuff than writer stuff. Wait, alcohol stuff IS writer stuff...

#4 S Jenan

S Jenan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

Heh. I live in Huntington Beach, which, according to amazon, is the setting of "tapping the source". Weird. Spooky, even.

#5 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out April 8th.

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

Heh. I live in Huntington Beach, which, according to amazon, is the setting of "tapping the source". Weird. Spooky, even.

It's a sign, I tell you!

:smile:

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#6 Hypothetical

Hypothetical

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Very little, other than dissertation. Published a short story in a small-town newspaper as a teenager. Proofreading/copy editing experience. Currently write a training email on psychology and corrections in a women's prison.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

I've wondered about this term since I found it on an agent's bio (only there it was described as "literate thriller," which sent me madly searching the internets with no joy). I think my psychological suspense may be a literary one, since my characters are complex and conflicted, but plot doesn't seem secondary to that, either. I don't know whether I should shove it into the query or whether it makes no difference.

#7 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

John Le Carre is literary thriller (eventually) and literate.  I would argue that Len Deighton is too.  Does that give you some idea? I Didn't mean to confine myself to spy fiction so let's throw in The Glass Key (Dashiell Hammett)

Literate would constitute a broad standard which I would included most of us here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users