#1 anticipa

anticipa

Ant, the Quixotic Query Quibbler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:A piece of flash fiction in Bad Austen, published Nov. 2011 by Adams Media.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

Having trouble sleeping last night ----> me finding ways to distract myself ----> this. Dunno.

Thoughts? It was really just for fun, but HEY WE CAN MAKE IT INTO A LEARNING EXPERIENCE
:wink:

I combined like 4 different free stock photos for the silhouette. The rest was drawn by me on my dad's Photoshop CS2 - lucky to have that.

jeez i miss drawing things. :blush: no time to do it anymore...

Attached Files

© this post is a riley redgate production

reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated.

i blog! i tweet!

#2 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,272 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

I think it's a good start, but a lot of the detail gets lost because there's not a whole lot of contrast between things. Without clicking on the larger image, it looks like it's a silhouette of a guy having sex with someone he's holding up. lol. Sorry. : )

Also, you may want to check out bigstock.com or 123rf.com for stock. Decent quality pics are only $4/photo. : )

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#3 anticipa

anticipa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:A piece of flash fiction in Bad Austen, published Nov. 2011 by Adams Media.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

Without clicking on the larger image, it looks like it's a silhouette of a guy having sex with someone he's holding up. lol. Sorry. : )

AHahahah! I gotta admit, I er, can't see it. :blush: Quelle awkward!

Also, you may want to check out bigstock.com or 123rf.com for stock. Decent quality pics are only $4/photo. : )

Bless your wisdom, Cali. :wub: The free site's pictures were like 200x300 pixels, so I had to magnify them and smooth out the edges manually, and I was like... seriously? Really? :humph:

i blog! i tweet!

#4 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (late 2015/Thomas Dunne) travels forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In the meantime I am one of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which releases November 4, 2014 and tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

OH MY GOD! I had exactly the same thought as CT. I saw something obscene at the thumbnail level
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#5 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,272 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

Yeah, good free stock is hard to come by, but the pay stuff isn't bad, and for ebooks you don't need the super duper licesnced photos. With that said, deviantart.com, in their resources and stocks category, also have a good amount of free stock. Just be sure to check each artist's rules of use. : )

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#6 patskywriter

patskywriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com from Durham, North Carolina, USA.

Currently working on my first nonfiction book, "And Then We Saw an Eye: Caring for a Loved-One with Alzheimer's at Home."

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

I remember your query letter for this book and it has an exciting story line. An artist should be able to come up with a cover that conveys the action and draw in potential readers/buyers.
Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com.

Currently working on my first nonfiction book, "And Then We Saw an Eye: Caring for a Loved-One with Alzheimer's at Home."

#7 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,272 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

OH MY GOD! I had exactly the same thought as CT. I saw something obscene at the thumbnail level

Glad I wasn't the only one, Lit! I was starting to think my mind lived in the gutter! lol.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#8 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,382 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:58 PM

Yeah, a little too dark at the thumbnail level especially. Using some lighter colors for contrast (particularly in the background and text) should help.
Snow-Small.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#9 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. Most recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published one novel and a short story collection.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

I didn't notice the potentially x-rated interpretation of the silhouette until cali pointed it out haha. but i agree with the others that it's just too dark overall, and the detail gets lost.

Resident Jello Lover
Jello World
From The Write Angle

SNE%2Bnew%2Bcover%2Btiny.jpg  Conseting%2BAdults%2Btiny.jpg Melt%2Btiny.jpg

#10 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,272 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

Maybe something like this? Obviously, it's crudely done with low quality, watermarked images they give you free, and not cleaned up well, but it gives you an idea.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#11 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (late 2015/Thomas Dunne) travels forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In the meantime I am one of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which releases November 4, 2014 and tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

I still see naked man-- so maybe it is me :p
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#12 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

I still see naked man-- so maybe it is me :p

I do too.

#13 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,272 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

Yep! He's naked. lol. But does he still look like he's having sex?

Cali MacKay

FREE

#14 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

Yep! He's naked. lol. But does he still look like he's having sex?

No, but in thumbnail, there is something odd between his legs and it's not the thing you expect. :wink:
JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#15 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,272 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

No, but in thumbnail, there is something odd between his legs and it's not the thing you expect. :wink:

Ha!! Love it! A hunky DRESSED male could probably be superimposed over the naked body so you still get the arms and legs. That might solve the naked problem. ; )

Cali MacKay

FREE

#16 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,272 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

Maybe something like this? You could probably throw jeans on his other legs if you wanted. lol.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#17 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,382 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

Cali, you DO know this is YA, right? :tongue:
Snow-Small.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#18 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,272 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

Rc, do you know how hard it is to find stock of a decent looking guy in a t-shirt looking straight on, that doesn't look an accountant? lol.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#19 scubasteve4

scubasteve4

Gone Writing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel BATTERY BROTHERS is due out with Elephant's Bookshelf Press on March 30, 2014.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

Riley, you know I think the world of your writing skills. But IMHO your current cover doesn't do your book justice. I can't put finger on what's not working, so I'll defer to others who have an eye for that. You obviously have designs skills, so keep at it.

I liked your idea about doing a cover for fun, so I drafted one for Battery Brothers. In PowerPoint lol. Yeah, I have no design skills. It was fun to do, but I'd almost certainly pay to have it professionally designed if I ever decide to self-pub. Maybe I'll post it later so you all can get a good laugh. :biggrin:

http://www.stevencarman.com

BatteryBros3.jpg

Published: March 30, 2014
Elephant's Bookshelf Press

#20 anticipa

anticipa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

Rc, do you know how hard it is to find stock of a decent looking guy in a t-shirt looking straight on, that doesn't look an accountant? lol.

HAhaha! Screw it, I'll just rewrite the novel, it can be an ACCOUNTANT THRILLER. Why do these not exist?

Super fun concept eeeeee - maybe I'll just stalk my guy friends' photos and steal one of them, haha. :laugh: Lovelovelove the idea of it being superimposed over the Da Vinci man, though the nakedness does admittedly make it awkward. :blush:

Steve, I want to see your cover!!!! There were some pretty cool stock photos of baseball-playing silhouettes. I bet you could do something snazzy with them...

i blog! i tweet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users