Disclaimer

Photo

Hiring a professional editorWhat have you found?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE, a YA Fantasy retelling of "The Snow Queen" will be published by Month9Books in Dec. 2014.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

I have several "beta" readers and every one of them has found different typos, errors, etc. They really are invaluable -- I can check my manuscript 3,000 times and still not see what they see.

#22 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I've had several short stories published with online magazines within the last two years. Currently, I am self-publishing my paranormal series. See my blog for more details.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

I have several "beta" readers and every one of them has found different typos, errors, etc. They really are invaluable -- I can check my manuscript 3,000 times and still not see what they see.

Yeah, I have that problem too, that's why I have a proof editor.

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg

demonthumbnail.jpg

#23 Kristina

Kristina

Vampire in the last life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None so far... But if you're psychic, you already know whose book you'll be buying in a few years. :)

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

I'm with Litgal - do it yourself. Then find a Beta or CP. Free and just as valuable as an editor.
Personally, I hated reading that "Eh, you've done the creative part. Pay someone to help with the finishing touches." part. You start the work, you finish it. There may be people who'll give you advices along the way, but that you wrote sounded as "Eh, I've done the bare minimum and now I'm looking for someone else to actually work on it".
“I am not afraid that the book will be controversial, I’m afraid it will not be controversial.” - Flannery O’Connor

“A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.” - Richard Bach

“Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” - Anton Chekhov

Follow me on Twitter

#24 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

I'm a newbie writer too, so here's my experience. I edited the heck out of my MS then joined a critique group and realized I had a lot to learn. I edited the heck out of the MS again.

I'm self-publishing and the digital publisher I am using provides editing as part of the service. This editor is not re-writing of altering the copy but pointing out things like repeat keywords or where I should be specific about, say, the species of tree rather than being generic and those type of things. I then make the changes myself.

I think if I had not gone through the critique process, I wouldn't be ready for this type of edit and, consequently, the digital publisher would not invest the time. I'd advise getting as many opinions as possible from other writers then re-evaluate whether you need to hire an editor.

#25 Season Vining

Season Vining

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS South

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

I am surprised that hiring an editor costs so much. It seems like a risky investment. Think I'll stick to my pre-readers and beta.

goodreads_icon_1000x1000-bed183559c02a41   Wordpress-button.png   facebook-logo-1.png   url-1.png

Beautiful Addictions

New Adult Romantic Suspense

St. Martin's Press  •  eBook: Jan 28, Print: July 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users