3 replies to this topic

#1 BethEllynF

BethEllynF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:journalism degree, former Conan/Fallon intern. Excited to add published author :)

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

hey guys! I need your help. :) So before I first started querying (around 2 months ago), I didn't realize that 19 is a tad old for YA. My book is YA Chick Lit. So I started small and queried a handful agents who rep that, and I got a positive response back from Lauren MacLeod (Strothman Lit). She said she liked my concept, but for the book to work in YA my MC would need to be younger, summer before freshman yr of college at the latest. she told me to feel free to requery if I choose to revise. My book was pretty close to that already (and I had been learning fast she'd need to be younger) so I took a couple of weeks to revise it.I was so happy with the finished product, it fits so much better with the genre. So I resubmitted my query to her following the same e-mail thread so she'd remember what she told me and I never heard a thing back.

What do you all think happened? :\ Should I have started a new query/new thread? I'm baffled b/c she liked the concept. Did she change her mind and doesn't want to hurt my feelings? I am so confused. Any opinions/advice here would be great b/c I'm not sure if I should just let it go and move on or try one more time with a new query/new thread.

Someone needs to write a version of "He's Just Not That Into You" for the agent/author relationship :\ b/c my brain hurts from this process lol.

#2 MarcyKate

MarcyKate

There can be only One.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel MONSTROUS will be out from HarperCollins Children’s Books in Winter 2015!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

I'd say it give it more time. If you only started querying 2 months ago, that's not a lot of time to pass for a second response to a query. Heck 2 months is pretty average response time to a first query. If she hasn't responded in 3 months since you sent the second email with revision, then you might try again. Wait times can vary dramatically depending on what's going on with an agents clients and other such things, so really all we can do is wait!

#3 BethEllynF

BethEllynF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:journalism degree, former Conan/Fallon intern. Excited to add published author :)

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

thanks for your input, I agree! I'll give it another month. :) man, this waiting game is the hardest part of the whole process, worse than the nos sometimes...actually, scratch that lol

#4 RPH

RPH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have lots of experience reading published books.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

I agree with the advice to give it more time. If you re-contact her too soon you risk annoying her. The one thing I was going to add is that I would keep pushing on - there's only about two or three million agents out there. There's nothing like an offer from another agent to light a match under the agent you are waiting to hear from. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users