#1 Cammy May

Cammy May

Model citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I am just starting out. I've done some script reading, and quite a bit of work on serials, but at this point have a book from a small publisher, and another will follow as soon as I quit messing around and finish it.
    I would prefer to be sole proprietor of a series of novels.

They can reject me, blacklist me, ignore me... but they can't take Tara away from me.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

I think the title says it all
So far everything has turned about as I expected.

#2 efowler

efowler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

I've been told to keep the title to 5 words. I think Consideration Prior to Shooting Your Boyfriend has the same effect and is shorter.

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and Winter's Regret in January 2014. Our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, was published in November 2013, and our second, Battery Brothers, in time for baseball's opening day, 2014. We're getting Billy Bobble Makes a Magic Wand by RS Mellette ready for publication on Dec. 1, 2014.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:34 AM

It has the added advantage of allowing the narrator to consider all sorts of places to shoot him.

#4 Tom Bradley

Tom Bradley

A big old goober.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My indie novels THE KONA SHUFFLE and THE HILO HUSTLE are available at Amazon.com and on B&N.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

How about "Things to Consider Before Shooting Your Boyfriend"?

In the meantime, remind me never to piss you off.

#5 S.K. Keogh

S.K. Keogh

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut historical novel, THE PRODIGAL, was published in 2012 by Fireship Press. My second novel, THE ALLIANCE, was released in Dec 2013. Currently I am querying agents with another historical novel.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

I agree with the others...delete "in the nuts". Leaves it more open and inviting in an evil kind of way. :wink:

SKKeogh.com

http://www.facebook.com/S.K.Keogh

Click to purchase your copy or read free samples (The Fortune release date: 10-21-14)
Photobucket.jpg19279504.jpgSmallCover_zpsa4ea36fe.jpg

#6 INCspot

INCspot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Japan Studies Review - published an essay, "Heroes & Villains of the East" (2010)

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

Amusing as it sounds, leave off the "in the nuts" part. I can see certain folks being outraged and scandalized to see a mention of human anatomy as part of a book title (but would be fine with mention of someone getting shot).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

Dream, Neil Gaiman's "A Midsummer Night's Dream"

#7 Cammy May

Cammy May

Model citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I am just starting out. I've done some script reading, and quite a bit of work on serials, but at this point have a book from a small publisher, and another will follow as soon as I quit messing around and finish it.
    I would prefer to be sole proprietor of a series of novels.

They can reject me, blacklist me, ignore me... but they can't take Tara away from me.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

LOL I suggested the "right in the nuts" jokingly, but my publishers loved it and when I suggested dropping it, they said I was... well, nuts.
It's kind of the theme of the book actually. Want to hear the funny part? Of the nine reviews it's gotten on amazon, two thirds ot them 5 stars, only one is by a woman. And I have been sending it to women, to female writers, to women's sites and magazines and reviews.
Go figure.
So far everything has turned about as I expected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users